Bodega Robbery Suspects Charged with Murder in Cuevas Shooting

Christopher Dorsey's aunt said her 17-year-old nephew was pressured by the older suspects in the robbery and ultimate death of a bodega worker in the Bronx.  (SADEF A. KULLY/ Bronx Ink)

Three Bronx men arrested for robbing the bodega where worker Reynaldo Cuevas ended up shot and killed by a police officer were arraigned Friday in Bronx Criminal Court on charges of both armed robbery and murder. Defendants Ernesto Delgado, 28, Orlando Ramos, 31, and Christopher Dorsey, 17, appeared before Judge Villages yesterday.  Family members of the suspects argued outside the courtroom that the murder charge was not fair. “Honestly, I feel like he shouldn’t be charged – he was committing a crime but he didn’t shoot him,” said Antonio Rodriquez, 21, brother of Orlando Ramos, about the death of Cuevas. “I think this is a way for the state to clean their hands – that cop shot him.” The Bronx District Attorney’s office has no comment on the case. Police said an officer accidentally shot Reynaldo Cuevas, after the 20-year-0ld Morrisania bodega worker stumbled out of the armed robbery scene on September 7.  Cuevas's family members dispute the claim that the officer's gun discharged accidentally and have called for an investigation. The youngest of those charged in the incident, Christopher Dorsey, 17, looked anxious and emotional in court. “He was the first one that came out," said his grandmother, Anna Cabrera. "He surrendered. He was so scared that day. He is not doing well inside.” "He is actually a good kid, he gets good grades, and he was definitely peer pressured into this. He has never held a gun.” Dorsey’s aunt. Jadeira Cruz, 39, said that her nephew had been diagnosed as emotionally disturbed. “I think the older men took advantage of his mental status,” said Cruz. “He has the mind of a 13-year old.” Dorsey’s lawyer. Cesar Gonzalez said that it was his first appearance in court with the defendant and that he would have to review all the material before making an official statement on the case. Maria Tobia, lawyer for Orlando Ramos, did not give any comments on the case. All three defendants are scheduled to be back on court on Sept 20th.